Langkawi island in Malaysia is just a stones throw from Koh Lipe, and within easy reaching distance in the high season.
There are several ways to reach Koh Lipe from Malaysia, and it's worth knowing that you'll need to clear immigration for all of them.
If you're arriving from Langkawi, you'll be guided towards the Thai Immigration Counter at Bundhaya Resort on Koh Lipe's Pattaya Beach. Meanwhile, if you're travelling via Pak Bara you'll usually clear immigration at Satun on the Thailand/Malaysia border.
From Langkawi to Koh Lipe
The journey from Langkawi to Koh Lipe takes one hour, and there are several services throughout the day during high season. Be aware that different ferry operators on Langkawi often use different ports, so it's worth asking the question when you're on the island. The main ports on Langkawi are based at Kuah Pier and Telaga Harbour, and timetables are subject to change so check with local operators closer to the time.
From Peninsula Malaysia to Koh Lipe
If you're travelling from Kuala Lumpur (or anywhere on peninsula Malaysia) to Koh Lipe, you have two main options. You can take a bus to Hat Yai before taking an onward journey to Pak Bara to catch the ferry. Alternatively you can fly to Langkawi, and take one of their ferries for the short journey across the Andaman Sea.
The main thing to remember about travelling anywhere in Thailand, is that if it's possible to reach, the Thai's will do everything the can to get you there. They're experts in transporting people, and with over 14 millions visitors coming to Thailand every year, they've learned to develop some of the world's most efficient transport networks. Just mention the island of Koh Lipe at your hotel desk, and you'll be presented with a selection of easy travel options, to suit every budget.
Visa infomation for Thailand, and entering via Langkawi to Koh Lipe
Passport holders who can enter Thailand without visa & thus Travel from Langkawi to Koh Lipe are listed below.
Note: visa's given at this crossing are usually only for stays of 15 Days...So if you want to stay longer purchase a visa before you travel.
Australia : Commonwealth of Australia
Austria : Republic of Austria
Bahrain : State of Bahrain
Belgium : Kingdom of Belgium
Brazil : Federative Republic of Brazil
Brunei : Brunei Darussalam
Chile : Republic of Chile
Denmark : Kingdom of Denmark
Finland : Republic of Finland
France : French Republic
Germany : Federal Republic of Germany
Greece : Hellenic Republic
Hungary : Republic of Hungary
Indonesia : Republic of Indonesia
Ireland : Republic of Ireland
Israel : State of Israel
Italy : Republic of Italy
Korea (South) : Republic of Korea
Kuwait : State of Kuwait
Luxembourg : Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
Netherlands : Kingdom of the Netherlands
Peru : Republic of Peru
Philippines : Republic of the Philippines
Portugal : Republic of Portugal
Qatar : State of Qatar
Singapore : Republic of Singapore
South Africa : Republic of South Africa
Spain : Kingdom of Spain
Sweden : Kingdom of Sweden
Switzerland : Swiss Confederation
Turkey : Republic of Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
United States of America
The countries below it is possible to travel via Satun to Koh Lipe and receive a visa on arrival for 15 days.
Note: you must catch the first ferry leaving Langkawi for Satun to catch the speed boat to Koh Lipe.
According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 21 countries and territories may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.
- The applicant must possess means of living expenses at the amount of 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.
- The applicant must possess a passport with at least six-month validity and must present full paid ticket which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry
- Visa on arrival is provided at 24 designated international checkpoints and applicants should submit the application form duly filled out and to which his/her recent photograph (4 x 6 cm) is attached. The application fee is 1,000 Baht.
List of countries and territories is as follows :
1. Bhutan : Kingdom of Bhutan
2. China : Peopleís Republic of China
3. Cyprus : Republic of Cyprus
4. Czech : Czech Republic
5. Estonia : Republic of Estonia
6. Hungary : Republic of Hungary
7. India : Republic of India
8. Kazakhstan : Republic of Kazakhstan
9. Latvia : Republic of Latvia
10. Liechtenstein : Principality of Liechtenstein
11. Lithuania : Republic of Lithuania
12. Maldives : Republic of Maldives
13. Mauritius : Republic of Mauritius
14. Oman : Sultanate of Oman
15. Poland : Republic of Poland
16. Russian Federation
17. Saudi Arabia : Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
18. Slovakia : Slovak Republic
19. Slovenia : Republic of Slovenia
List of Thailandís Immigration Checkpoints which provide facilities for issuance of visa on arrival :
1. Suvarnabhumi Airport
2. Don Muang International Airport , Bangkok
3. Chiangmai International Airport , Chiangmai
4. Phuket International Airport , Phuket
5. Hatyai International Airport , Songkhla
6. U Tapao Airport , Rayong
7. Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
8. Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
9. Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint , Chiengrai
10. Betong Immigration Checkpoint , Yala
11. Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint , Songkhla
12. Samui Airport , Surat Thani
13. Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
14. Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
15. Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint , Chonburi
16. Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint , Rayong
17. Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
18. Samui Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
19. Phuket Immigration Checkpoint , Phuket
20. Satun Immigration Checkpoint , Satun
21. Krabi Immigration Checkpoint , Krabi
22. Songkhla Harbour Immigraion Checkpoint , Songkhla
23. Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
24. Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
For All Countries not on the first list and wish to use the boat services between Langkawi and Koh Lipe we advise you to arrange Thai Visas before you depart on your trip.
you can get an extension of your exempt visa at any immigration office within each province. they will probably only give you 7 days.
Fines for over stay are charged by the day and are at the moment: 500baht.
"You can pay your overstay fine at the airport, but if you are caught by Immigration before you reach the airport, you will be jailed and deported until you can pay your fine and show a one way ticket back to your home country."